In this post I would like to tell you how to get rid of Spider Veins with home remedies for spider veins.
At some point you may notice tiny purple and red veins just underneath the surface of your skin. If this does occur, don’t be alarmed too much. They are known to most people as spider veins and although they may not be so attractive to look at, there is usually no cause for concern. And they usually just disappear on their own anyway. Sometimes however, they can cause an irritating sensation like an itch or burning sensation. Due to those circumstances people get desperate to get rid of them. It has been common for people to seek out cosmetic treatment to end their spider-like veins. But there are a number of ways you can get rid of spider veins at home. You can diminish and prevent spider veins with home remedies.
Another thing I should mention, is: Spider veins are not rare. In fact around 45 % of men and 50 % of women get spider veins at some point. So don’t worry that you are turning into some kind of mutant, because it is almost inevitable that we will experience these at some point throughout our lives.
What are spider veins?
They are not actually called spider veins. They are often referred to as spider veins as they resemble spider-like structures. (The actual medical term for spider veins is telangiectasias and there is the angioectasias which are much like varicose veins, only not as big.) They are usually blue, red and purple in color.
Spider veins usually appear on the legs (ankles, thighs, back of calves and the inside of legs). The reason they commonly appear there is because there is higher pressure in the veins in the lower part of the body. This is because of the amount of weight put on it from the weight of the entire body. Think about gravity for a minute. The requirement of the blood having to be carried all the way up to the heart. This is the reason why there is more pressure in the lower part of the body. At least when you are standing or sitting anyway.
It is also not uncommon for spider veins to appear on the face. You may sometimes notice them on the cheeks.
What Causes Spider Veins?
The contributing factors of spider veins are listed below. Some have more influence than others. They include:
- Genetic susceptibility
- Standing for long periods of time. This could be because of the job you have to do where you are on your feet all the time.
- Obesity. Because there is more weight and more pressure.
- Contraceptive tablets (A.K.A: the pill).
- Blood clotting or weak circulation.
How to get rid of spider veins with home remedies
Some of these solutions need to be applied to the skin directly
There are some home remedies for spider veins you can apply directly to veins which will help to relieve your symptoms and also fade them fast. However, a specific amount of time can’t be given. The results will vary from person to person.
How to get rid of spider veins with:
Witch hazel helps to shrink spider veins because of it’s astringent, anti-inflammatory effects. The volatile oils and tannins found in the witch hazel are the main reason that this herb helps to constrict those tiny spider veins underneath the surface of the skin.
To use Witch Hazel:
- Apply some distilled witch hazel extract to a cotton pad or ball.
- Apply the Witch Hazel soaked pad directly to the area that you want to treat.
- Repeat a few times per day.
Alternatively, if you have some witch hazel leaves you can prepare your own solution. Simply boil some Witch hazel leaves for a few moments. Once the liquid has cooled down, you can use it to compress.
Mustard oil helps to improve the blood flow to areas affected by spider veins. Therefore that makes mustard oil great to help diminish those pesky, unwanted spider veins.
To use Mustard oil:
- Mix some mustard oil with a carrier oil.
- Apply to spider veins twice daily.
Apple Cider Vinegar AKA: (ACV)
One of the most versatile home remedies, Apple Cider Vinegar strikes once again. Is there anything ACV can’t do? I’m not going to answer that. Because there are probably millions of things. But there is also so many things that ACV can be used for. There was a study published recently in 2016 which discusses the effect of external apple cider vinegar application on varicosity symptoms concluding a positive outcome that can be achieved from conservative treatments.
In the study their was a group of patients with symptoms of varicosity. The group was encouraged to cover the areas with ACV which had the varicosity. During the study the patients didn’t receive any intervention. 3 months after the study it was found that the ACV had significant effects on the patients that received conservative treatments. Also, The symptoms were decreased without any harmful side effects.
To use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Get a clean cloth and soak in some unprocessed, raw ACV.
- Wrap the soaked cloth around the skin with spider veins. (Cautionary note: if applying to skin that’s sensitive, or applying to areas such as the face, I advise to dilute your ACV with some water. And just apply for a short amount of time first to see if it causes any irritation.)
- Leave on the skin approx. 20 mins and remove.
- Repeat two times daily until veins can’t be seen any longer.
How to Get Rid of Spider Veins by Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar.
Drink one to two times per day.
Simply mix a teaspoon (or a tablespoon if can tolerate it. It’s the easiest thing to consume) in a cup filed with warm water and a teaspoon of honey. (Preferably organic) And consume before your meals.
It helps by reducing inflammation of the veins. You should notice a difference within one to two months. However, results may vary from person to person.
Arnica is known for it’s anti-inflammatory effect. Therefore, it is considered a useful healer for the relief of discomfort caused by spider veins and varicose veins. Arnica contains a number of components that help to reduce inflammation, help to reduce pain and even constrict the vein.
To use Arnica:
- Either apply a Arnica gel or an Arnica cream to areas affected by spider veins 2 – 3 times per day.
- Or Arnica can alternatively be taken as a pill. (It’s advisable to consult a doctor or healthcare professional before taking)
Lemon (Essential oil)
The use of lemon essential oil can strengthen capillary walls within the blood vessels.
To use Lemon essential oil:
- Mix a 3 – 4 drops of your lemon oil into some carrier oil. The following can be used: coconut oil, jojoba oil or almond oil.
- Simply massage areas with veins protruding 3 – 4 times per day.
Horse Chestnut Seeds
Horse chestnut seeds are highly praised for their home remedy benefits. The horse chestnut seeds components are said to inhibit the enzymes which damage the capillary walls. This helps to strengthen the vein.
To use Horse Chestnut combine two ingredients.
- Horse Chestnut tincture
- Distilled Witch Hazel
How to use:
- Mix the witch hazel in the horse chestnut tincture. Mix 1 part horse chestnut to 10 parts witch hazel. For example. 1 mil to 10 mils.
- Apply mixture to areas affected.
Alternatively their are horse chestnut topical creams that are sold on the market that can be used to treat spider veins. Additionally, you can take extracted horse chestnut internally it helps promote the bloods circulation.
Cayenne pepper is known to treat problems related to poor circulation. As a result it also helps with problems such as spider veins.
There is a compound in Cayenne pepper known as capsaicin. This compound helps promote blood circulation and helps ease pain caused by congested and swollen veins.
There is more than one way to use Cayenne Pepper So I will list the ways below:
- If you have pain or swelling, you can apply a capsaicin cream or gel to areas affected by spider veins as and when needed. This will help reduce the pain and swelling.
- Simply add 1 tsp of powdered Cayenne pepper to a cup filled with hot water, then stir well. Wait for it to cool a enough to drink and drink. Use twice a day until you have results you are satisfied with.
- You can simply include cayenne pepper to your cooking.
- Or alternatively, take a cayenne pepper supplement. (It’s advisable to consult a doctor or healthcare professional before taking.)
Cautionary note: it is not recommended for women breastfeeding or pregnant women to take cayenne pepper.
There is a study on the anti-oxadative and anti inflammatory effects of ginger which concludes that ginger thins the blood and it does in fact lower the blood pressure. Due to it’s blood thinning effect, if you are already using any medications be sure to either check the contraindications of your medicine or ask a G.P before using ginger.
A small amount of ginger won’t have a significant impact. But, it can be quite effective when combined with different natural ingredients. You can try adding some ginger to your smoothies, fruit juices or spice your meal up a bit with it. Their are also some wonderful rejuvenating ginger teas available. Ginger powder can also be consumed and it is equally as effective.
There is more than one use for this prehistoric herb. It not only enhances the memory by increasing the blood circulation to the brain but it has also been reported to reduce blood viscosity. As a result that makes Ginkgo Biloba an effective treatment for the reduction of spider veins. Try taking 40 mg’s ginkgo biloba extract 3 times a day until you notice positive results. It’s also worth mentioning that the most effective ginkgo biloba is the 50:1 extract.
Changes to your lifestyle to combat spider veins
Because spider veins are caused by things such as standing too long and obesity, things can be done to have skin that’s spider vein free. I recommend making the following changes to your routines if you would like to be spider vein free.
- Ladies, avoid wearing heels. And men too if that’s your thing. Definitely if the heels are bigger than 3 cm’s.
- Neither sit or stand for too long. When standing for a while however, move the weight from one leg to the other every few minutes to give your legs some relief.
- Try to maintain an ideal body weight.
- Exercise regularly
- Elevate legs. To relieve the pressure from the legs elevate your feet higher than your heart 3 – 4 times per day. Do this for approx. 15 minutes each time.
- Eat more spicy food. As spices are known to improve the circulation of the blood, it would be considerably beneficial to include foods that contain spices such as; cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger, garlic and onions. These spices can also be added to juices. (Maybe not so much the onion, or the garlic. Unless of course you can tolerate them. However, not for me.)